Skip to main content

The Secret to Community Leadership

Many people have asked me how did get this or that opportunity over the years. My answer is always the same: #volunteer. Sometimes people ask about volunteer opportunities and others just blow off what I just said like I am being "extra" or flippant. But, it's the truth. Volunteering is how I access information about opportunities both paid and otherwise, connect with new people, develop relationships with old acquaintances, and express my care about the things I am most passionate about in the community.  Through volunteering (directly or indirectly), I have received jobs, clients, real friends, business partners, furniture, my home, event tickets, and a couple trips. I am not saying that anyone should begin volunteering to see what tangibles he or she can accumulate, but I am saying that the shift in mindset one takes to be a doer...a part of a team no matter what his or her credentials might be, can help shape a leader that is respected and valued within the community at large or within segments that can deem valuable in the future.

At times in my life (take now for instance), I really can't volunteer anywhere on a consistent basis. But, there has never been an extended amount of time in which I cannot volunteer in some capacity.  So, what prompted me to go on this tangent about volunteerism? I received a wonderful email this morning from a Washtenaw County representative boasting of a new volunteer database. Here is an excerpt from that email:

This virtual Volunteer Center will connect people interested in volunteering with local nonprofits that rely on volunteers to achieve their mission. More than 65 agencies have listed more than 160 needs and counting on the new site. The site will accommodate individuals as well as groups, and will be provided at no cost. We're very excited to help people do what they love. For others.  It's just one more way United Way of Washtenaw County is filling a need in our community.

How it works:The new Volunteer Center website makes it easy for people to find opportunities to serve. At the newVolunteerWashtenaw.org, volunteers can: ·         Search the volunteer needs by scrolling through the full list or you can narrow it down to suit your preferences;  key word search, interest area categories (such as education or senior citizens), by court-ordered appropriate, activity type (such as construction or mentoring), one-time needs, ongoing needs, group opportunities, distance, date, and more.·         Explore agencies that are doing amazing work in our community, from human services to animals to the environment to the arts. Learn more about what they do, where they're located and what needs they have. ·         Easily sign-up for volunteer opportunities online.
·         Become a fan of agencies or update interests in their profiles to receive notifications of new volunteer needs.
·         Invite and register a group for a volunteer opportunity.
·         Log  volunteer hours to keep track of work for school or civic resume
·         Share opportunities via email or social media at the click of a button.
·         See other nonprofit needs: in-kind donations, advocacy and employment
·         Browse Community Events that are happening in Washtenaw County.
 It’s fast, it’s easy and it’s free! And to add to the fun and celebration of the launch, enter to win a Zingerman’s Gift Card now through Oct 1! Read more about the launch contest online.

If you happen to live beyond Washtenaw County in Michigan, please feel free to check out some of the spots I have used before:

1. www.volunteermatch.org
2. www.volunteerspot.com
3. www.meetup.com

Les Go and Do!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Monday Mornings Can Kill Business

Monday mornings come every week; they are just crazy like that. But, did you know that they can kill productivity for the entire week? I didn't know that either -- until I reached the end of my first year in business and realized much of my year had been just a string of bad Monday Mornings . Here are four things I learned over the course of my first year: It Was The Night Before Monday and All Through the House..  Whether you have 3 hours or 15 minutes, a little preparation on Sunday evening can help in big ways on Monday morning. For me, that is often just 15 minutes creating a to-do list or journaling. Laurita Thomas, who is the associate vice president and chief human resource officer at the University of Michigan, spent several hours each Sunday in her office, preparing for the week ahead for the first few years in her position. "I don't do that anymore" said Thomas, "but I do spend time each Sunday evening preparing for the week." Schedule

3 Sweaty Lessons for the Entrepreneur

When the remake of the movie,  Sparkle , arrived to theaters, I had to watch the 1976 version just one more time. This has been a favorite since I first watched it as a teen almost 20 years after it was released. Every time I watch the movie something different stands out. This time that I watched it, I noticed how sweaty Stix, the character played by Philip Michael Thomas, was when he hugged the girls mom. It was at the point that I experienced an epiphany as to why this movie impacted me so much. Here are three sweaty business lessons that I learned from the movie: 1. Sweating is Natural  In Sparkle, when Stix came to Sparkle's debut and hugged her mom he was sweaty. She didn't turn him away. In fact, she gave him a full embrace while in her finest threads. He had made a mistake and she knew it, but he had survived it and she was encouraged.  As a entrepreneur, I have to put in my sweat equity to get my business off the ground. There aren't always casual or ladyl

Media Release: Mom Genius Helps College Bound Students

Press Release _________________________________________________________________________ “Genius” Mom Launches New Campaign To Help College-Bound Students To ‘Up Your Game’ With Your Writing ANN ARBOR, MI / (May 11, 2017) – Essay Coaching is announcing the launch of Up Your Game With Your Writing – a tutoring, mentoring, and education campaign designed to help both students and parents reduce the family stress involved with the college admissions essay process. Because teenagers and young parents are so busy, the campaign includes numerous quick and free elements, including a new information and resource hub at www.essaycoaching.com , FREE original college essay quizzes as seen on WXYZ-TV , college essay readiness training for students and parents, private coaching packages, a new Twitter channel with weekly writing tips at @debmerion and new book due out in 2018. The first workshop is May 16, 2017, from 7-8:30 pm. in Saline. Students and/or parents will