Skip to main content

Blogging After a Social Breakup

A social breakup is when social media followers decide, for whatever reason, they are tired of following you or your brand. Top reasons for social breakups include too much length of time between posts, hyper posting (posting too many times for the social media tool you are using), inconsistency, too much selling, or sometimes the honeymoon period (giveaways, initial excitement, or novelty) is just over.

Do All Blogs Go to Heaven?


A couple years ago I started to see a decline in my blog reader engagement.  Unlike the 95% of bloggers who give up on their blogs, I knew what to do. After all, I have been blogging for almost 15 years. I simply wasn't doing it. I was spreading myself too thin, disorganized, and to be honest...a bit bored/burnt out.

Here we are two years later. With the new addition to the family (shown below), I have less time than ever. So, why in the heck would I decide to rebirth a blog? Good question. There is a lot of research on the increase in inbound traffic for brands with blogs and how blogs are still popular with readers, but that is not why I decided to blog again. I am blogging again because I have had a chance to reconnect to my personal priorities and goals for each of my blogs and have information to share that I feel will be valuable to others.



While I was "away" for the past year and a half I stopped forcing content onto social media. This allowed several things to happen:

1. I got the chance to enjoy social media again with no pressure. I found myself playing Words with Friends, discovering new selfie and pic collage apps and software.  I learned how new social utilities  and communities worked like Snapchat and Medium and lost myself in group discussions. I captured moments in life that did not fall neatly into categories. I found fun and satisfaction. Why is having fun important in social? Think about it: your upcoming event, new research, blog, book or product line is seldom the reason people log into social accounts. What most of us do as bloggers, artists, or business owners is disruptive marketing...meaning that we interrupt people on social sites to share our information. The reason that this arrangement works is because people have accepted us into their community or vice versa. You cannot become a part of a community if you don't have any ties to that community.

2. I listened. I am always telling clients to listen before they move. I like to think of it as the chipmunk approach. (You know how a chipmunk will dart out in the street and then do a quick listen and look from left to right before advancing?) That is the way it is on social media as well. It is so tempting to build a marketing strategy where you spend an hour a week scheduling your blog post and social media. You know what I mean: Okay let's see: Gonna send out my blog to LinkedIn on Monday, Twitter on Tuesday, post it to Facebook on Friday.. Yep. That ought to do it. When I hear this, I cringe. As a social media manager, I am most obviously quite into marketing plans and content calendars. However, if you do not listen and observe what your target audience is doing, you will always be behind the power curve. I suggest before posting on any site, blog or social media, you should spend a couple hours over the course of a week to read what others are posting, what type of language and format is popular, and trends.

3. I reflected on my weaker areas. Because I have this creative, run-a-way train kind of a brain, I will often trace the dots inside my head without making them absolutely clear to others. For instance, I held a blogging workshop on June 11 of this year. I called it Blogging 611 to highlight the year as well as give a nod to the popular cheat code to reach cellular customer service (with most cell phones you can engage directly with customer service with your provider by dialing 611, just as I see blogging as an extension of your brand's customer service). Unfortunately, not one (not one single participant) drew the connection to the date or the customer service reference. That is the kind of sh%t I have to tighten up on.

4. The most important thing I noticed while I was "away" was something that is integral to the "Les Go" model, which is it that it is okay to start now (Get it: Let's Go = Les Go). It is okay to start before you obtain X or learn Y or calculate the risk on Z. The most important thing is to BE SOCIAL! Ironically, a client that I have worked with in the past on several occasions about being more spontaneous and less fretful about "doing it right" on social posted this graphic (shown below) on their Facebook Business Page. Today, I am taking my own advice and starting now. I have already started rekindling my relationships with my communities on Twitter and Facebook; now is time to rekindle this blog. Use the comment section to tell me what you think, what you miss, what you would like to see.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Monday Mornings Can Kill Business

Monday mornings come every week; they are just crazy like that. But, did you know that they can kill productivity for the entire week? I didn't know that either -- until I reached the end of my first year in business and realized much of my year had been just a string of bad Monday Mornings . Here are four things I learned over the course of my first year: It Was The Night Before Monday and All Through the House..  Whether you have 3 hours or 15 minutes, a little preparation on Sunday evening can help in big ways on Monday morning. For me, that is often just 15 minutes creating a to-do list or journaling. Laurita Thomas, who is the associate vice president and chief human resource officer at the University of Michigan, spent several hours each Sunday in her office, preparing for the week ahead for the first few years in her position. "I don't do that anymore" said Thomas, "but I do spend time each Sunday evening preparing for the week." Schedule

The Purpose of a Vision

A Full Moon, taken around midnight on August 1, 2012, several minutes after  it reached its fullest  phase. Have you ever witnessed something so breathtaking that you wanted to capture the image and share it with the world?  At the top of August, I was outside when the moon became Full. It took up the entire sky. Due to street lights and limitations with the photography (lacking proper equipment and skill), I was unable to capture the full glory of the moon. But, whenever I look back at this photograph, I am reminded not only of what I can see in the picture - but the memory of what I saw that night. Similarly, most entrepreneurs and businesses begin with a vision. But one of the key purposes of a vision, is being able to share it. If a business is unable to communicate that vision with stakeholders, prospects, and employees - the purpose is lost. Here are a few necessaries to capture that vision to share with others: Focus - In order to focus, you must be still. If you move

Good Morning Sunshine

In general, entrepreneurs and small business owners tend to practice healthier lifestyles. That may be because many entrepreneurs understand that losing time or illness can hurt business. Still, that healthy lifestyle is not the reality for many startups or female entrepreneurs who tend to have increased demands on time and unique challenges that can leave them depleted. Fresh and New Spring is a good time to think about beginning a new project or starting over , and Monday is a good time to begin a new project. But, most small business owners do not have a clean break between work and play, week and weekend. Friday is not the jubilant release and Monday morning does not always bring the refreshed promise that we see and hear around us.   However, each morning is actually a new opportunity to start again. Whether you practice yoga, journal, exercise on the treadmill, or just still -- find some time to rejuvenate this morning so that you can have enough of you left at the