Skip to main content

Remember Your Dream


MLK Day is not a holiday for slackers. The Martin Luther King Day of Service was created to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through reflection and service. Instead of blogging last Monday morning, I used that time to reflect and have meaningful discussion with my son about some of the lesser known allies to the civil rights movement such as Bill Cosby, Harry Belafonte, and Charlton Heston. 

In addition, this entire month I have been revisiting my current projects to see how they aligned with my overall goals. Last week, I reflected on the reasons why I constructed this blog. I have a blog that deals with personal and professional development. I have a poetry blog...well, because I'm a poet. But, this blog is the one I chose to associate with my business. The Educated Emotion debuted on December 1, 2011 and has several meanings, both personal and professional. 

On a personal level, it was to capture and communicate what I have learned and continue to learn about my own emotional health.  My modus operandi early in life was to keep my emotions bottled up until they exploded (or imploded).  Through spiritual exercises, I  have gained tools to understand, share, communicate, and channel my own emotions in a positive way.

On a professional level, the Educated Emotion was purposed to convey a different perspective on community, small business, social media, and customer service. I could have shared my expertise in content, engagement, relationship and experience marketing in a more academic manner. I chose a different route because my top priority was not to compete for the title of industry expert, but to become an ally to the solopreneur, small business owner, or artist by helping them engage in authentic communication with their customer. A client once told me, "your greatest assets are your heart and mind; they together create the value to your services."

Oddly enough, I came across this MLK quote (below) last week. It was the first time I have ever seen this quote, but it embodied the ideal I had when I began this blog. And, so I restart my journey with the Educated Emotion.

The Educated Emotion: Remember Your Dream
2014 Refresh


What
Emotional and Spiritual Intelligence: How to Listen to the Emotions of you and others to receive personal and professional success and problem-solving (and problem prevention) on an individual and organizational level. It would be extremely difficult for a large corporation to communicate a sincere gesture or advertisement to its customers; it's just too large. However, a small business or artist has tremendous ability to listen and respond to consumers. Listening to your body, mind, and soul; this will help you listen and respond to the needs of your customers.

Who
Solopreneurs, Entrepreneurs, Michipreneurs, Intrapreneurs, Small Business Owners, Writers, Bloggers, Photographers.

Why
Emotions are at the root cause of much of our societal issues. 90% of emergency visits are manifestations of some sort of stress or depression, the amount of money it takes to be "happy" is increasing by the decade, and companies are spending more money than ever on health care and sick days. Also, look up at the "What" section.

How
News, stories, reflections, studies, interviews, tools and testimonies of how you can increase the emotional and spiritual intelligence of yourself and/or your organization! I feed off of others so I hope to hear about you, your successes, and challenges as well as anything you would like to see discussed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Monday Mornings Can Kill Business

Monday mornings come every week; they are just crazy like that. But, did you know that they can kill productivity for the entire week? I didn't know that either -- until I reached the end of my first year in business and realized much of my year had been just a string of bad Monday Mornings . Here are four things I learned over the course of my first year: It Was The Night Before Monday and All Through the House..  Whether you have 3 hours or 15 minutes, a little preparation on Sunday evening can help in big ways on Monday morning. For me, that is often just 15 minutes creating a to-do list or journaling. Laurita Thomas, who is the associate vice president and chief human resource officer at the University of Michigan, spent several hours each Sunday in her office, preparing for the week ahead for the first few years in her position. "I don't do that anymore" said Thomas, "but I do spend time each Sunday evening preparing for the week." Schedule

The Purpose of a Vision

A Full Moon, taken around midnight on August 1, 2012, several minutes after  it reached its fullest  phase. Have you ever witnessed something so breathtaking that you wanted to capture the image and share it with the world?  At the top of August, I was outside when the moon became Full. It took up the entire sky. Due to street lights and limitations with the photography (lacking proper equipment and skill), I was unable to capture the full glory of the moon. But, whenever I look back at this photograph, I am reminded not only of what I can see in the picture - but the memory of what I saw that night. Similarly, most entrepreneurs and businesses begin with a vision. But one of the key purposes of a vision, is being able to share it. If a business is unable to communicate that vision with stakeholders, prospects, and employees - the purpose is lost. Here are a few necessaries to capture that vision to share with others: Focus - In order to focus, you must be still. If you move

3 Sweaty Lessons for the Entrepreneur

When the remake of the movie,  Sparkle , arrived to theaters, I had to watch the 1976 version just one more time. This has been a favorite since I first watched it as a teen almost 20 years after it was released. Every time I watch the movie something different stands out. This time that I watched it, I noticed how sweaty Stix, the character played by Philip Michael Thomas, was when he hugged the girls mom. It was at the point that I experienced an epiphany as to why this movie impacted me so much. Here are three sweaty business lessons that I learned from the movie: 1. Sweating is Natural  In Sparkle, when Stix came to Sparkle's debut and hugged her mom he was sweaty. She didn't turn him away. In fact, she gave him a full embrace while in her finest threads. He had made a mistake and she knew it, but he had survived it and she was encouraged.  As a entrepreneur, I have to put in my sweat equity to get my business off the ground. There aren't always casual or ladyl