Skip to main content

All Work and Image Play Against Innovation


All Image and No Identity Makes Biz a Dull Subject
 
Most digital marketing firms help businesses develop a brand image. This is essentially working on how your market perceives you. Brand image is driven by market and company research, relies heavily on previous consumers, finding what consumers want to know, and what you have to offer. Taking the guess work out of what you do can help consumers make informed and timely purchasing decisions.

“Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” ― Dolly Parton

A similar form of brand marketing is via brand identity. This is getting "who you really are" across channels in a forward-thinking, strategic manner. This Spring, I am actively working on sharpening the brand identity for Les Go and Les Go Social Media Marketing and Training. I have shied away from heavy-handed branding because I am a creative and want to allow room to evolve. I love technology, I have mastered marketing with over 70 social media sites that can help depending on what industry a business is in, and I have a background in customer service and training. Still, what distinguishes me from other folks in my industry is the way my mind works - not just what's in it.
 
A client recently told me the two most valuable items I bring to clients are my mind and my heart. Interestingly, this is exactly why I began The Educated Emotion blog. Now, I am looking at a first draft logo my teenage son sketched (not the one shown) that has a big heart in the middle. I was advised to make my logo more accurately reflect the technology I consult and teach on. But, that is who I am.

________________________________█████_____█████
______________________________███____██_██_____███
_____________________________██________██__________██
____________________________██__________█____________██
________██████____________██________________________██
_____███████████________██________________________██
____█████████████_______██_______________________██
___███████████████______██______________________██
___████████████████______██___________________██
___████████████████_______██_________________██
____███████████████_______███_______________██
_______███████████_______██__██_____________██
___________███████______████___██__________██
____██████__██████████████_____██_____██
__██████████████████████________██__██
_████████████████████_____________████
██_█████_████████████_______________█
█__█_██__████████████
_____█__████████████
_______█████████████
_______██████████████
_______███████████████
________███████████████
_______███████__████████
______███████_____███████
____█████████________██████

Nobody Does It [Business] Like You Babe

I wish I could tell you that brand identity is easy or new customers will start beating your doors down as soon as you unveil yourself to the public. But, that'd be fibbing. Some of the most talented, creative, and innovative minds of today and in history never found met success they deserved. One of the most captivating stories is that of Florence Ballard. Known as the lost supreme, she was an original member of the Motown group. Never really finding a way to learn and communicate her own identity via song, her life and career were cut short. Her 32 years on earth included a rape, depression, alcoholism, poverty, foreclosure, violent marriage, and bad business deals. 

Up until recently, the only time I had heard Ballard sing was with the Supremes. Although Ballard had a stronger, more soulful voice than Diana Ross, Ross clearly was the best choice for lead on most of the songs sung by the Supremes. However, since I have been introduced to the real Florence Ballard, I love her voice. I can't help but ponder what her life and career would have looked like if she had spent time developing her own voice and identity unrelated to MoTown and emerged as an individual not in competition with anyone. Unfortunately, I cannot go back and help Florence - but I can learn from it and hopefully help someone else find their own unique brand identity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Monday Mornings Can Kill Business

Monday mornings come every week; they are just crazy like that. But, did you know that they can kill productivity for the entire week? I didn't know that either -- until I reached the end of my first year in business and realized much of my year had been just a string of bad Monday Mornings . Here are four things I learned over the course of my first year: It Was The Night Before Monday and All Through the House..  Whether you have 3 hours or 15 minutes, a little preparation on Sunday evening can help in big ways on Monday morning. For me, that is often just 15 minutes creating a to-do list or journaling. Laurita Thomas, who is the associate vice president and chief human resource officer at the University of Michigan, spent several hours each Sunday in her office, preparing for the week ahead for the first few years in her position. "I don't do that anymore" said Thomas, "but I do spend time each Sunday evening preparing for the week." Schedule

The Purpose of a Vision

A Full Moon, taken around midnight on August 1, 2012, several minutes after  it reached its fullest  phase. Have you ever witnessed something so breathtaking that you wanted to capture the image and share it with the world?  At the top of August, I was outside when the moon became Full. It took up the entire sky. Due to street lights and limitations with the photography (lacking proper equipment and skill), I was unable to capture the full glory of the moon. But, whenever I look back at this photograph, I am reminded not only of what I can see in the picture - but the memory of what I saw that night. Similarly, most entrepreneurs and businesses begin with a vision. But one of the key purposes of a vision, is being able to share it. If a business is unable to communicate that vision with stakeholders, prospects, and employees - the purpose is lost. Here are a few necessaries to capture that vision to share with others: Focus - In order to focus, you must be still. If you move

Good Morning Sunshine

In general, entrepreneurs and small business owners tend to practice healthier lifestyles. That may be because many entrepreneurs understand that losing time or illness can hurt business. Still, that healthy lifestyle is not the reality for many startups or female entrepreneurs who tend to have increased demands on time and unique challenges that can leave them depleted. Fresh and New Spring is a good time to think about beginning a new project or starting over , and Monday is a good time to begin a new project. But, most small business owners do not have a clean break between work and play, week and weekend. Friday is not the jubilant release and Monday morning does not always bring the refreshed promise that we see and hear around us.   However, each morning is actually a new opportunity to start again. Whether you practice yoga, journal, exercise on the treadmill, or just still -- find some time to rejuvenate this morning so that you can have enough of you left at the