Skip to main content

People Talk - How to Lose a Prospect in 3 Days

An aerial view of downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan. Businesses without people are just buildings!
Today, The Educated Emotion starts its People Talk Series. This series will teach you how to lose a good prospect, a good client, a good customer, a good employee, and a good referral in 3 days or less! 


How to Lose a Prospect
Last year, I went shopping for a new gym for the first time in years.  I am, by no means, a "gym rat". In fact,  I could probably live inside of a YMCA and still avoid working out on certain days. However, I do like to see energized, welcoming faces when I go to workout. This makes me think they will notice if I am missing in action - which is a good thing for me. Also, as a new entrepreneur, my time and budget are stretched.  In this quest to find the best fit for me, my lifestyle, and my budget I spent about 6 weeks taking tours of various facilities, taking advantage of complimentary guest passes, and hearing a whole bunch of speeches about amenities and customer satisfaction. 

All of the gyms had their perks and pluses - one had a pool and a hot tub, a couple had classes included with the membership, one had a blow dryer that actually heated up to the proper setting to dry my hair and one had real soap and hot water - not that foamy, fad stuff that comes out like shaving gel - but real soap! Still aglow with my new discovery, I walked around the locker room in complete satisfaction. Of all the gyms I had been to, this was the most expensive but also the most plush spot yet. Maybe I could make this work into my budget. Perhaps I could work part-time there. I didn't have it all figured out, but I knew I wanted to be a part of this gym. Later that night, I told a good friend that I had found the dream gym.

Day 2
The next day when I went for day two of my complimentary pass, I had a question about my pass. The person who had originally set up my pass told me I could change the days I used it at the front desk. She uttered the four most despised words for a customer to hear, "it should be fine." There was a bunch of confusion about my request and I was told to call later that day to ask for a certain staff member. For me, that is always a customer service red flag. If there is nothing I did wrong, why should I have to be the one to call? Why is the customer service representative too busy to provide customer service or call back a customer?

Once I went to the locker room and washed my hands (with hot water and real soap!), I forgot about my red flag incident. After, I walked out of the fabulous exercise classes, I was back in love. Still unsure about the financial side of the decision, I stopped a staffer with a basket full of towels. I asked her how long she had worked at the gym. She said, "four years." I didn't want to come right out and ask her how much she got paid so I asked her how she likes it and that I was thinking about applying for a part-time position to offset the expense. Within several minutes I got my answer and then some. She said she had worked at this gym for four years and only received one raise, she was passed up for a promotion because the boss promoted a friend, the lack of appreciation had sapped most of her motivation, and she didn't workout because she dreaded coming in and couldn't get wait to get off each day.

So, here it was. Day Two of my 3-day pre-commitment honeymoon and I was doubting my decision. Later that night, against my beliefs, I called the gym to speak with the customer service person I was directed to call to figure out what was going on with my guest pass. 20 minutes later, all I accomplished was a voice mail  after being passed around via several hurried telephone voices.

Day 3
The next morning, I received a call from a name at the gym I had not heard. Before I could tell her my situation, she started in with a speech.

"Sorry you are going through this. You signed up with _____. <insert teeth sucking>. She should not have let you have this pass at this time. We generally avoid peak days...."

The lady on the phone went on for a good three minutes before she paused long enough for me to say anything. That's when I officially decided to break up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Monday Mornings Can Kill Business

Monday mornings come every week; they are just crazy like that. But, did you know that they can kill productivity for the entire week? I didn't know that either -- until I reached the end of my first year in business and realized much of my year had been just a string of bad Monday Mornings . Here are four things I learned over the course of my first year: It Was The Night Before Monday and All Through the House..  Whether you have 3 hours or 15 minutes, a little preparation on Sunday evening can help in big ways on Monday morning. For me, that is often just 15 minutes creating a to-do list or journaling. Laurita Thomas, who is the associate vice president and chief human resource officer at the University of Michigan, spent several hours each Sunday in her office, preparing for the week ahead for the first few years in her position. "I don't do that anymore" said Thomas, "but I do spend time each Sunday evening preparing for the week." Schedule

3 Sweaty Lessons for the Entrepreneur

When the remake of the movie,  Sparkle , arrived to theaters, I had to watch the 1976 version just one more time. This has been a favorite since I first watched it as a teen almost 20 years after it was released. Every time I watch the movie something different stands out. This time that I watched it, I noticed how sweaty Stix, the character played by Philip Michael Thomas, was when he hugged the girls mom. It was at the point that I experienced an epiphany as to why this movie impacted me so much. Here are three sweaty business lessons that I learned from the movie: 1. Sweating is Natural  In Sparkle, when Stix came to Sparkle's debut and hugged her mom he was sweaty. She didn't turn him away. In fact, she gave him a full embrace while in her finest threads. He had made a mistake and she knew it, but he had survived it and she was encouraged.  As a entrepreneur, I have to put in my sweat equity to get my business off the ground. There aren't always casual or ladyl

Media Release: Mom Genius Helps College Bound Students

Press Release _________________________________________________________________________ “Genius” Mom Launches New Campaign To Help College-Bound Students To ‘Up Your Game’ With Your Writing ANN ARBOR, MI / (May 11, 2017) – Essay Coaching is announcing the launch of Up Your Game With Your Writing – a tutoring, mentoring, and education campaign designed to help both students and parents reduce the family stress involved with the college admissions essay process. Because teenagers and young parents are so busy, the campaign includes numerous quick and free elements, including a new information and resource hub at www.essaycoaching.com , FREE original college essay quizzes as seen on WXYZ-TV , college essay readiness training for students and parents, private coaching packages, a new Twitter channel with weekly writing tips at @debmerion and new book due out in 2018. The first workshop is May 16, 2017, from 7-8:30 pm. in Saline. Students and/or parents will